Sunday, May 31, 2009

Everyone Who Calls...

This day at the House of Restoration started like any other day. Courtney and I went to the house at 2:30 Thursday to teach a lesson out of the 12 step book we have been using. When we got there I saw Maria.

Last week after the lesson she spent some time with me talking about a dream she had that had really frightened her. We talked about the fact that God can give peace in even the worst of circumstances. We talked about what it meant to be a child of God. She told me she did not have that kind of relationship with God, but that she desperately wanted one. She then prayed to receive Christ as her Savior. I was a little skeptical about if she really understood the commitment she had made. She is a quiet lady and she rarely participates in the Bible studies we have. I found out that she did not know how to read or write and I found 2 of the ladies at the house who told me they would be willing to read the Bible with her during the week. I left the house praying that during the week she would stay strong in the faith as so many of the women face great temptation after they make a profession of faith.

Towards the end of the lesson this week I looked outside to the front porch and saw Maria talking with her son and his girlfriend. As the lesson concluded I went outside to tell Maria the "homework" for the week and I noticed tears in her eyes. I sensed that she wanted to ask me something, but I also felt like I was intruding at the same time. I walked back inside, but said for her to let me know if she wanted to talk to me about anything when she was done visiting with her family.

During this time I learned that there had been a baptismal service on Saturday and Maria and a few of the other ladies had been baptized. I was so happy to hear this news as it is a real profession of faith here in a Catholic country. As I was discussing this with some of the ladies we saw that Maria, her son, and the girlfriend were all crying outside loudly. When I inquired, "¿Qué pasó?" I was told that Maria's son and his girlfriend had just prayed with Maria to receive Christ. They were tears of joy! We gathered all 3 of them in the house and one of the other ladies, Angie, prayed over all three of them. What a beautiful thing to behold. I was so happy to see that Maria had not only embraced the Lord as her savior, but had on her first opportunity shared this joy with her son and his girlfriend.

When I first prayed with Maria I had been skeptical that she understood fully the commitment she had made. God has taught me a lesson that there is no room for cynicism when we share the gospel. Our job is merely to be the vessel that He chooses to use in the moment and then let God be God. He is the one who should convict, affirm, and change hearts. Salvation is a sovereign work of grace from God.

For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. Romans 10:13

No comments: