Saturday, May 23, 2009

Lessons Learned

A couple of weeks ago we had Cade's 3rd birthday party at Parque La Paz. We were thankful for the beautiful weather that we had that day as the rainy season has started and it is difficult to tell sometimes if the rain will start early or late in the day. Our friends the Bredbenners, Murphrees, Gillens, Constantes and Woods were there to celebrate with us. The kids enjoyed playing in the park and riding horses.

We had originally invited many people to come to the party, but several were unable to attend at the last minute, so we had several Thomas the Tank Engine cupcakes left over that I had made. Something we have noticed here in this culture is that strangers are not afraid to come up and ask for something they want. This was exactly the case as a girl who looked to be about 5 or 6 years old came up to me and pointed at one of the cupcakes I had on a plate. I realized that she wanted one, and although I still thought it strange, I gave her one anyone because of her boldness. Less than a minute later, her little sister came with her and she too pointed to one of the sugary treats. I gave her one, but this time I was getting a little put out, after all, it was a birthday party for my son and I really didn't feel like being the hostess to every child in the park that day. (There were well over 20 at the time!)
The next day I was running and listening to my daily 2 chapters in the New Testament on my ipod. As it would be, that day the verses I heard were from chapter 11 of Luke.

5-6 Then he said, "Imagine what would happen if you went to a friend in the middle of the night and said, 'Friend, lend me three loaves of bread. An old friend traveling through just showed up, and I don't have a thing on hand.'
7 "The friend answers from his bed, 'Don't bother me. The door's locked; my children are all down for the night; I can't get up to give you anything.'
8 "But let me tell you, even if he won't get up because he's a friend, if you stand your ground, because of your boldness he will get you what you need.
9 "Here's what I'm saying: Ask and you'll get; Seek and you'll find; Knock and the door will open.

10-13 "Don't bargain with God. Be direct. Ask for what you need. This is not a cat-and-mouse, hide-and-seek game we're in. If your little boy asks for a serving of fish, do you scare him with a live snake on his plate? If your little girl asks for an egg, do you trick her with a spider? As bad as you are, you wouldn't think of such a thing—you're at least decent to your own children. And don't you think the Father who conceived you in love will give the Holy Spirit when you ask him?"

Luke 11:5-13 from The Message

Wow, it hit me like a ton of bricks! Isn't that exactly what that little girl did? In boldness she asked for something she did not have, and because of that she received, but so many times I sit and suffer in silence over a situation in my life because my pride refuses to let me acknowledge that I need help. All I really need to do is in boldness ask the Lord for those things I need; peace, courage, strength, compassion, self-control, love...and would He too not give them to me when I am a beloved child of His? How many times do we walk around in despair or pain when if we will only diligently ask God to bring us through it, He gladly will.

I am so glad that day a little Tica girl asked me for a cupcake. I think I was the one who really received a reward that day.

2 comments:

The Whites said...

what a great story! thanks for sharing!

Tim and Susan said...

Found you via Coffee Girl blog. We are missionaries in Japan. Blessings!!