Sunday, May 10, 2009

For Mom

This morning at 5am I awoke to the sound of fireworks. I remembered that today was suppose to be my day to sleep in as it is Mother's Day in the US. Here, however, it is not Mother's Day. They celebrate that special day in August. I wondered to myself where these fireworks were coming from and why. They were a little sporadic, but just frequent (and loud) enough to keep me from going back to sleep. Ken went out to investigate and asked a neighbor where they could be coming from. The neighbor nonchalantly said probably neighboring Zapote was having a fiesta. At 5 in the morning????!!!???? Are they crazy? When do they sleep? Then I remembered that the feria (farmer's market) starts at 5am in Zapote. I guess it was supposed to be our wakeup call to come to the feria.

Well, since it was Mother's Day, Ken told me to enjoy myself and go back to sleep after the fireworks stopped. As I snoozed off and on, Ken and the kids made me a big breakfast with pancakes, eggs and turkey bacon. The kids had each made me cards with little coupons like "Good for one free back massage" and "good for one free bed making" and others. I am excited to use my wonderful gifts!
Most of all I am thankful to God for giving me such a wonderful family. It is such a blessing to have a family that loves me. Thank you Lord for Mother's Day and thank you Lord for mothers!

No comments: