Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Guilty Until Proven Innocent

Perhaps one of scariest things about going to a foreign country is dealing with the police and or military of that country.  I remember when we were in Costa Rica I was mugged at broad daylight and couldn't even get the cops to come to the scene of the crime.  People have told me if you live in Mexico the last thing you want to do is call the police.  In the US that's actually the first thing you want to do. 

Anyway, we had our first "run in" with the police when we had only been here a little less than 2 weeks.  We were driving down the street at a pretty slow enough pace when a traffic cop stepped out in front of our vehicle from behind an obstructed part of the corner of the street (think moving cars and trees in the median).  Ken had to swerve to avoid him, but he did not hit the cop.  This cop was furious and had the next officer down at the next block pull us over.  Now with our limited Spanish we tried to explain that we were sorry that Ken did not see him.  This officer wanted to make a huge deal that Ken had a Costa Rican license and his US one wasn't on him.  Frankly it doesn't matter for the first 90 days as long as it is a valid license.  When we tried to explain ourselves the cop just kept insisiting that he couldn't drive with the Costa Rican license and the International License we also had on us.  We called the mission and one of the nationals that works with us, Daniel, spoke to the officer for all of about 1 minute.  The cop handed us back the telephone and told us to drive carefully.  I later learned that this was of course a shakedown and Daniel called the cop on it letting him know that what he was doing was illegal and that we had of course not broken any laws.

Fast forward to yesterday.  Ken has left for the U.S. and I am taking Kayleigh to ballet, late as usual.  I tried to park in a space that was on the small side, Connor looking out the back window, Kayleigh looking out the right side.  I realized I wasn't going to get in the space after 2 attempts (my back right tire kept hitting the curb because of the angle I was trying to get in), so I gave up and pulled off.  As I was leaving the street guard came walking down to guide me in and I just waved her off because I knew I wouldn't fit and by this time I was really late and needed to drop Kayleigh off at the door.  I drove around the street and stopped at the ballet studio, helping Kayleigh get in the door and telling her I'd be back at the end of class.  Right after pulling out a lady in a white car started to honk at me and said something about "saliendo" (leaving).  She pointed to me to pull over, so I pulled over thinking that maybe one of my tires must be low and the air was "leaving" (how they sometimes say your tire is getting flat).  Well, my tires were fine and I got back in my car.  She came up to me yelling in rapid Spanish saying I had hit her car and then left and she was going to call the police now that she had my license plate number.  Now I was completely confused.  I asked her what in the world she was talking about.  She pointed to the front of my car and said I hit her car and left.  I told her I left because I couldn't fit my car there.  I did not hit anyone!  She went around to the front of my car and pointed to a huge dent that has been there from another missionary incident over 1 year ago.  I laughed and told her that was very old and I would have known if I touched her car.  I did not do it.  She of course continued to threaten and when I asked what was wrong with her car all she could point to was a couple scratches on her back fender that could have been done a long time ago.  I recognized what this was about as she tried to demand my name and phone number.  I've heard other stories about this.  The old "let's hit up the foreigner for some cash".  I told her that just because I was a foreigner did not give her the right to say something that was not true.  She proceeded to call the police and I prudently drove away with the kids.  I then proceeded to take the car home and get a taxi to go get Kayleigh after ballet, still somewhat shaken and praying for God to settle my nerves.

What bothered me the most was the long night of wondering if the police were going to be pounding on my door soon.  I know that sounds crazy to your average U.S. citizen, but it is not so strange for us missionaries.  I personally know of 4 people who have been incarcerated until they proved their innocence in separate incidents here in Ecuador.  One man had a car accident where someone elso ran into him but then fled the scene.  He was in jail over a week.  Another man was placed in a jail cell with hardened criminals all because he lived in the apartment of someone who had lived there long ago and that other person had been a criminal.  It was a case of mistaken identity, but the police didn't care.  They arrested him anyway until the lawyers could prove the missionary wasn't that man.  It took 10 days.  I know of a young girl in high school that was placed in a city jail for some issues dealing with her student visa.  She has had to leave the country now as a result of that.  In many countries like this one you are guilty until proven innocent.  It is a very hard concept to wrap your head around until you see it for yourself.

Anyway, I talked to someone in our mission's office and explained the situation.  Fortunately the car is registered with the mission so I have some protection through that, but it still is disturbing to know that someone can go to the police and file a warrant for your arrest without just cause.  I will never take for granted again the wonderful feeling of being innocent until proven otherwise.

No comments: