Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Carnaval 2010

Today is the celebration of Carnaval for all of South America.  It is a time of parties, parades, food and mischief in the streets.  I am told that most everyone goes to the coastal cities to celebrate which would explain why Quito is like a ghost town.  I love it!  We can eat at any restaurant (that hasn't closed for the holiday) without a wait, and shop at the Megamaxi with no lines.  I took the opportunity to make a King cake like I used to make in Alabama for Mardi Gras (the same holiday in Mobile/ New Orleans).

Yesterday we went to the Martinez house to celebrate the mischief side of Carnaval.  It is custom to throw water balloons, dunk people with buckets of water, use foam spray (which has a pleasant fruity smell), and even douse people with flour after they have been soaked.  Let me first say thanks to all my friends for not picking on me too bad since I have a nasty cold.  I was able to get some really neat photos to share though.  This photo is a personal favorite of mine.  To the right is Kathy Broom and to the left is Kelly Martinez.  Check out the Ecuadorians in the background watching the two gringas in all out foamspray war.

The kids really got into the fun, but my favorite was watching all the adults act like children to get the better of each other.  If anyone didn't have sufficient water, foam, or flour on them they were automatically made the target for the group.  I almost felt bad for poor Jonathon Jackson when the girls went after him as he arrived at the party all clean and dry......like I said, almost....

I hate that I had a cold.  I would have loved to get Ken good like Kelly is getting Rick here in this photo to the right.  Ken however, would have none of that.  He claimed that he had to stay dry for his trip to the grocery store he was making later.  Baahumbug!  As you can see, Cade, Connor and Kayleigh got into the action with enthusiasm.  It took 3 showers to get all of the flour and foam off of Kayleigh. 

No comments: