Saturday, August 2, 2008

The grass is always greener

This first week has been a tremendous week for adjustment and patience. We have seen the best and the worst of our area in all the miles we have taken on foot around here. Some of the things we have found ourselves grumbling about like the temporary commune living in the AMCA house with new faces coming and going every night (usually arriving around 1-2 am) has been both a curse and blessing for us. The kids always seem to take it all in stride and enjoy meeting the new people. They have even given some command performances of break dancing and air guitars for their captive audience. For Ken and I the lack of privacy, especially the lack of a bathroom close to our room we can use, and the fact we are all in one room in bunk beds as a family, has been a challenge for sure. I guess we can't all serve in Portugal (inside joke).

This all being said I have been very aware of the massive amount of poverty here in Central America. We no doubt have it very good down here compared to many of those around us. Ken was speaking with a homeless man the other day that told him he was going to try and find work in a neighboring city because he was unable to find work here. The man did not ask for a handout, but merely said he needed to find work so he could better his condition.


This morning I got up early and went to the local farmer's market to purchase our vegetables and fruit for the week. Along the way I saw many people putting their garbage in the street for pick up and also many people going through those same garbage bags looking for aluminum cans to sell, food to eat, etc... It is hard for me to really feel justified in my complaints about our cramped lifestyle for the next two weeks when I see teenagers having to scrounge around through the trash for food.

As I took the children to one of the many local parks in the area I was humbled by the knowledge that God has really provided for all of our needs. We have learned the first few verses of Psalm 23 in Spanish "Jehovà es mi pastor, nada me faltarà ." which translates, "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want." How true that simple message has become for each of us.

Thank you everyone for your continued prayers. God is really pruning us right now, but that is exactly what we have needed. It is not always easy for us to find these places in us opened and bared to the world, but through these moments I know that God will grow us into the beautiful creation He has designed. God bless you all, or, as they say down here...¡Diós Te Bendìga!

1 comment:

Mark and Hannah said...

I couldn't leave that "inside joke" hanging.....

We do have job openings if ur interested! Come on over to the green grass! :) Just kidding!

Say hey to the gang!