Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Strepo Boy

This year was Connor's 3rd Cheetah Charge at school. He had been battling frequent cases of strep getting ready for the race running with me, so he wasn't able to put in the mileage he normally does in preparation. We had a good pep talk the night before the race, but I knew that this year again I would miss the race because I had to work. Ken promised to be there with camera in hand and cell phone. I asked him if the batteries were fresh (last year he had a camera, but dead batteries) and he said we were good to go. I got a call while I was in the OR at 1:30 saying he was getting ready to race. I told Connor that if he did his best he would do great and that we were proud of him. Well, Connor ran his little heart out! He said that his side kept hurting (he had a hamburger for lunch an hour before I found out later) and he was really winded, but he came in fourth. Now for poor Connor that was a huge disappointment since he had come in first last year. I told him I was so proud because I knew he had run as fast as he could. Connor came home later and told me he was tired and that his throat hurt. I checked his temperature and sure enough it was over 101. The next day at the pediatrician's office they confirmed that he indeed had strep again. Now I told Connor that I knew he could do anything if he could run a race with strep! Suddenly to Connor 4th place didn't seem so bad. He decided that his nick-name Dash would have to be changed to Strepo boy!

No comments: