Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Off the Face of the Earth

I know many of you probably wonder if we have fallen off the face of the earth. The answer is no, not yet! It has been a little hectic lately and blogging has been forced to the very bottom of the priority list, but here is the latest:

I have started my new job at Good Samaritan. It is good to finally have a regular job! I am learning my way around and am known now as "Alabama" by my peers. I always used to believe that Florida is in the south. WRONG!!! Apparently Florida is actually a very hot version of New York or New Jersey with palm trees and alligators. There are tons of Yankees here, and although I consider myself a Southern belle, I do like to remind them that I was born in Detroit, MI, making me a pseudo Yankee (but not a psycho Yankee).

Anyway, the surgeons tease me and tell the patients they'll be happy to translate for me if the southern drawl is too hard to understand. Also, I have found several people I can practice my Spanish with. Please pray especially for my new friend Cielo (heaven in Spanish). She is from Columbia and her family is living there now. She is trying to get a visa for her family to come and join her and still has not been able to get one after over 2 years, so she travels back and forth every few months so she can see them.

The kids are enjoying the end of their summer and Ken is ready for them to start school. Really ready! I can almost see that school bus now! The kids are excited about meeting new friends and starting classes, but not quite as enthusiastic about wearing uniforms. I think it will be much easier for Ken to help pick out thier clothing in the morning, "hmmm... should I wear the blue uniform pants or the khaki?" Anyway, bring on the classes! My kids are getting bored with summer and I have the perfect cure, Pierce Hammock Elementary!

No comments: