Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Two Roads Diverged


I have been putting off writing this blog for a while. I knew that it would probably open up all kinds of questions and concerns, and I wasn't really sure how to even go about writing it. But then I thought about all the wonderful verses of scripture God has reminded me of lately encouraging me to trust Him (Prov. 3:5) and that in His power all things truly are possible (Phil 4:13), so here goes.

We will be returning home to the States in June. Many of you know we were not supposed to come home until next summer, but some recent changes with our mission board has made it apparent that they will no longer be doing work among Mestizos (Hispanic city dwellers), and so after prayerful consideration over the last 5 months we feel God is calling us to back to the U.S. to work with Hispanics and area churches.

When we signed on with the mission board now over 2 years ago we knew God had called us to work with Hispanic Urban Professionals, and we felt like Caracas,Venezuela was where God was leading us. Unfortunately we were not able to enter Venezuela due to difficulties obtaining a work visa and the rising costs of food and necessities in that country. This was a huge discouragement for us, but we were very grateful and excited about the opportunities that awaited us here in Ecuador. Recently we learned that any area with a concentration of 2% or more evangelization would see a removal of personnel from that area. This means that we would not be able to return to Quito either to work with the people here. There were also many other changes that factored into our decision as well.

We know where God has placed our heart and desire concerning Latinos of South and Central America. We also know that the talents and gifts God has given us are best used among these people. We do not fault the board for focusing on underevangelized areas of the world during these tough economic times. We know that the direction the board is taking is certainly warranted in these difficult times we live in. We also know the burden God has placed on our heart for Hispanics, and so we cannot leave that call God has placed on our lives. We merely find ourselves looking to fulfill that call in a place we never dreamed of going...our own country.

And so we will be returning to the States in June and spending a few days with family. I will begin a new job in West Palm Beach later this summer and Ken will take the 18 months he needs to complete his on-line seminary degree through Liberty Baptist Seminary. Through this all we will continue to do mission work through local churches and the state Baptist association to see more Hispanics reached for Christ.

Please pray for our children and ourselves as we make this transition. Although we are thrilled to be near family and old friends again, we will miss the friends and "family" that we have made here in Ecuador. Please also continue to pray for our mission as many other families are making similar decisions in the face of so many changes. It is a bittersweet time for us, but we rest in the Lord knowing that He is in control of the future.

I leave you with one of my favorite poems by Robert Frost.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth.

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same.

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

3 comments:

martinezfamily said...

Why didn't you tell us you were leaving?? God bless you guys on your new ministry opportunities in the promise land.

gary & kimber said...

I know that must have been a hard decision. We pray that God will clearly guide you and take care of all the details.

Marlene said...

Just saw this today as I've been traveling for the Memorial Day weekend...wanted to let you know your family will be in my prayers as you make new adjustments! I hope you will be sure to put updates etc...on facebook so I can keep up with what God is doing in your lives! Blessings!
Ms. Marlene