Saturday, April 25, 2009

35 with 5 years experience

This last week I reached a milestone that I never really thought about reaching when I was younger; I turned 40. I awoke the morning of the 17th a little bit down as I went for my 30 minute run. My body ached more than it did when I turned 35. I also admit that my pace is probably quite a bit slower than it was at 35 too. Because I only had one class that day I thought of skipping school entirely, but I didn't. I really need all the studying I can get as it is a little harder to remember things it seems with each year that passes.
I wasn't really sure what the day would hold as not too many of my friends here even knew it was my birthday and with it being at the end of the trimester, I knew the first part of my day would be spent in the student sale. I also knew that Ken, being the last minute person he can sometimes be, had just invited some people the night before to come to Otero's for pizza that night, so I wasn't really sure that at the last minute anyone would be able to come.

As I was working the sale a dear friend, Nicole, brought me the perfect thing to brighten my day - flowers! When I arrived at grammar class late they all started singing to me, "Feliz CumpleaƱos". I was even able to lay down and have a siesta for a little while that afternoon with Cade. I hear that's what you do when you get older.

Anyway, we went and bought a couple of small cakes and headed over to Oteros. Our kind Tico friends from here (Yoko and Gus) took us from the store to the restaurant so we would not have to take a taxi. That was another unexpected blessing for sure. When the waiter at Otero's asked how many would be coming we told him probably around 12-20 people give or take a few. Before I knew it there were 53 of us! I had to send Ken around the corner to get another cake from the bakery. I felt so special to have so many friends there.

Suddenly I did not really feel like 40, really more like 35 again. And so I have decided that I am really 35.....just with 5 years of experience!

1 comment:

Regina & David said...

Happy late birthday! Sounds like you had a fun one!